Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ah, so it goes.

I post most of my photos on a site called deviantart.com... And on that site, I have a lot of "friends." My "friends" are very, VERY articulate and talented people, so when one of them updates their journal, I read it, regardless of who it is and what it is about. One of my friends who goes by Meatbag Blowface (for reasons I have yet to discover), recently wrote a journal about the decline in newspaper sales. It fascinated me that someone outside of the newspaper/reporting community knew so much about what was happening in regards to ad sales and readership. Even when I was on my high school's newspaper, we did everything we could -- from dummying down our word usage, to making the paper look more magazine-y, layout-wise -- to expand our readership. It worked, but still, advertising sales were at an all-time low.
I knew from the moment I started my journalism class in ninth grade, that newspaper reporting was what I wanted to do with my life. Of course, as I grew up and saw the change in technology making it easier to access articles online, I changed what I wanted to do from print to digital media. Still reporting, and still interviewing, just instead of JUST print news, I would be doing print, online, and broadcast. When it came time for me to apply to schools, I applied to Brooks Institute of Photography, picking the major 'Digital Media.' I think that was probably the smartest thing I could have done with my life.

I still read the local paper once a day. Partially because I work for a news station, and partially because newspapers bring me the most happiness. Silly, I know, but after producing a paper for four years, the feel of the ink rubbing off on your fingers makes me feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment